With the over-saturation of shows and world renowned DJs circling LA and OC on a weekly basis, it's easy to justify skipping one out (or you just waited until the last minute and will end up getting a scalper ticket the day of from major FOMO). Regardless there's plenty of shit going on this month to nurture your dance music addiction with events from different genres all over town. We broke down a list of the top five EDM shows this month that should be on your radar. Enjoy your summer like a true rager and attend all of them - why not? You only live once, right?
5. Chuckie and Gregori Klosman Fox Theater Pomona Friday, August 16th Goldenvoice has teamed up with LED and Future Events to get in on their own piece of the money-making EDM pie. This month, they are bringing the esteemed Dirty Dutch party to the Fox Theater Pomona with the Dutch house master Chuckie, direct support from French electro house phenomenon Gregori Klosman and local favorites PRECEPT and Dirty Hype. Chuckie, born Clyde Sergio Narain, has a way of splicing all of the Beatport top songs of the moment with his own hits and classics from all genres such as Tiësto's "Adiago For Strings" in such a way that makes you feel like you are taking a journey through dance music of the moment. Expect a night full of energy, a wide range of music with some epic buildups, and kids in full rage force (it's 18-and-over).
4. Noisia The Observatory Thursday, August 29th Innervision Events and Bassrush continue to give you your monthly dose of spine-rattling dubstep and drum & bass. Bassology returns at the end of the month to the Observatory in Santa Ana for a night of sweaty, dirty beats with Dutch trio Noisia and opener Dip Vertigo. Nick Roos, Martikn van Sonderen and Thijs de Vlieger who make up Noisia are giving fans a two hour set which we hope will incorporate their heavy drum & bass roots, some electro house synths, and the bombastic dubstep bass lines they are known for. Currently on tour with the British hip-hop/dubstep group Foreign Beggars as their side project I Am Legion we wouldn't mind hearing their debut single "Make Those Move" live too. OC will be sure to turn up to this event and the ratchets will be out in full force (it's also 18-and-over).
3. Jamie Jones, Art Department, and Damian Lazarus Egyptian Theater Saturday, August 24th The Miami Music Week party hosted by our favorite Crosstown Rebels' Get Lost has grown to become an international staple and makes it's way to LA again this year at the Egyptian Theater in the heart of Hollywood. Last year, it was the party everyone talked about as they emulated the Miami and Ibiza feel of after hours parties that go until the next several days. Crosstown Rebels label head Damian Lazarus is bringing his biggest acts--Jamie Jones, Art Department and rising star Francesca Lombardo--as well as a special set from LA hero DJ Harvey for a day of groovy tech house and deep house sounds. Expect the atmosphere to be like Coachella's Yuma tent where it doesn't matter who you are, how much money you make, or what you do as long as you know how to get lost in the underground sounds of house music.
2. Above & Beyond Sutra Monday, August 5th It's no wonder why the ticket site was crashing when Identity Management Group announced the kick-off to Sutra's 10 year anniversary week long celebrations. The English super stars Jono Grant, Tony McGuinness, and Paavo Siljamaki who make up Above & Beyond have had a devout set of trance fans for over a decade now. The radio show host and record label heads have continued to win the hearts of dance music lovers by creating timeless music through their selective discography which includes Tri-State (2006), Sirens of the Seas (as OceanLab in 2008) and their most recent Group Therapy (2011). Their music exudes passion and emotion unlike many of the pulsating untz untz chart toppers in EDM today, and still their releases on Anjunabeats and Anjunadeep continue to hit No.1 on iTunes and Beatport charts. The Sutra intimate setting will be a truly one of a kind experience much like their acoustic show coming to LA in October.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Hardwell The Palladium Saturday, August 10th It seems as though the "Go Hardwell or Go Home" tour tickets are the hottest things on the EDM market right now. Insomniac has partnered with the young Revealed Recordings label head to bring his ambitious US tour to his first headlining show at the Hollywood Palladium with opening support from his own protege Dannic and MakJ. Though we've seen the rising star at numerous festival performances all over and in intimate club venues, this special Hollywood night is sure to be a career milestone for the 25-year-old artist. Born Robbert van de Corput, his award-winning productions and collaborations range with everyone from Tiësto to W&W and have become chart topping hits. It's quite evident why Hardwell was ranked No.6 in the notorious DJ Mag Top 100 poll last year as his career continues to sky-rocket.