Orange Bits: Jordin Sparks, Hootenanny and More
This week in OC music news from other venues: Jordin Sparks is cheesy, Hootenanny gets people talking, a local music blog gently slams local music players. And more!
- A squeaky-clean American Idol starlet came to the Grove, creeping out one Register reviewer: "There's something unsettling about Jordin Sparks." Could it be that she spells her first name wrong? [OC Register]
- Local rockers Kiev recently recorded with a London-based, kinda-sorta-renowned producer. [OCR]
- Dueling Hootenanny reviews! The Register thinks Chuck Berry blew it, the Los Angles Times thought he was okay. We, if you remember, took the reasonable, nuanced middle ground. [OCR, LAT]
- Ahead of their appearance in Irvine for Lilith Fair, Weepies frontman Steve Tannen answers a query about how it feels to be one of the few male frontmen at the festival. "Fifteen thousand women and me," he says. "What's the question?" [LAT]
- OC's fortunate indie sons Local Natives drop a hip-hop remix of "Wide Eyes." [LAT]
- There's a Fullerton group called "Electronic Meat." Terrible band name, or great one? Gonna side with terrible here. Everyday Noise thinks otherwise. [Everyday Noise]
- A review of the new Venus Infers album, highlighting its "sexy dark undertones." [EN]
- Scrappy anoymous local blogger reviews this past Tuesday's Detroit Bar show and banishes Anaheim's Peyote Players to a south-county dive bar. Don't ask. [The Ruffian]
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.