The talk of the sports world has been New York Knicks guard Jeremy Lin. Yes, we all know his story already and yes, we know the overwhelming media hype surrounding his improbable ride, but that doesn't mean we're going to shy away from taking a look at the musical angle of Linsanity. That being said, we're going to have a little fun here and reimagine some song titles using the all-too-familiar Lin pun, with their original titles in parenthesis.
5. "Virtual LINsanity" - Jamiroquai ("Virtual Insanity"): How cool would it be to see Lin wearing the big top hat and walking like singer Jay Kay did in this video? Scoff if you must, but remember, this tune was a big winner at the 1998 VMAs.
4. "LINsane in the Brain" - Cypress Hill ("Insane in the Brain"): One of Cypress Hill's signature tunes, it's the only way to describe what's been going on with the budding superstar. Though the song is about getting fucked up and Lin is very religious, the two opposites could work through the original message and adapt it so everyone's happy with the end result.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
3. "Tonight Is The Night" - Outasight: In tribute to his favorite team, the rapper decided to post a highlight reel of all of Lin's exploits with his hit song playing in the background. The proclaimed die-hard Knicks fan is sure to be happy that his team's fortunes have taken a turn for the better.
2. "Can't Help FalLIN in Love" - Elvis Presley: This song describes how New York feels about their rising star. As Linsanity has swept the nation, and ESPN (by the sheer volume of stories on the topic, beating it to death), title-starved Knicks fans finally have something to feel good about. After the dreadful Isiah Thomas era and what seemed to be a lost season this year, some of basketball's best fans had nothing to cheer about, which is why the song seems appropriate for their attitude about the newest star in the Big Apple.
1. "Nothing Compares 2 U" - Sinead O'Connor: We picked this version because, well, nothing compares to the Knicks point guard. There hasn't been a story like this in all of sports. Sorry, Tim Tebow doesn't count, he won the Heisman and was a first round pick. Lin came from virtually nowhere, having been cut by two teams and been in the NBA D-League (basketball's version of the minor leagues) before getting his opportunity a few fateful weeks ago. So, that being said, if you are sick of Jeremy Lin, that's fine, but you can't say that you've seen anything like him before (Kurt Warner doesn't count either, NFL is way different), or else you're lying (Billy Ray Bates doesn't count on the basis of his position and small overall impact on the league).