Eight Questions with D-Strutters
Long Beach has a lot of bands, but none of them exemplify pure rock 'n' roll as well as D-Strutters. The group--singer/guitarist Joe Roads, guitarist George Velvet, bassist Tony and drummer Heath--leave all pretense behind for a straight-ahead bombastic blast like the Stones would be writing if they weren't 90 years old.
If you don't know them, now you do, because here's an interview with Roads.
A D-Strutter is a Joe Strummer fan who strutts with a chick rackin' DDs.
2. Whenever someone says, "Hey Joe" to you, do you automatically think of Jimi Hendrix?
No, unless they sing it...heard that since I was 5 years old.
3. Your drummer situation is worse than Spinal Tap. Can you tell me a little (or a lot) about that?
Well, since I used to be a drummer, I think I should be patient, but to a fault. Since we formed five years ago, we finally found a great friend to join our family. Stay tuned for our next album.
4. Tell me about your interest in scooters. Is it difficult to get your gear to gigs on a two-wheeler?
Thanks to my good friends from BA MOTO I've traded in the scooter for a Triumph,still a two wheeler, but I manage just fine. I guess I'm a rocker now, hehe!!
5. You flipped the bird to touring the U.S. and went straight to Europe. Why? Can you give me a good story about your tour overseas?
In the past, I dedicated many years to a couple of local bands as a drummer that never accomplished more than a weekend out of town gig or two. I've always heard about how much fun American bands have when they play overseas and how much the people over there appreciate live music! I wasn't sure if my band D-Strutters would last more than a few years when we started, so I decided that if we were going to to tour, it would have to be in Europe. I figured if things didn't go well once we made it out there, it would be a great experience anyways... a kind of vacation at that.
6. Finish this sentence... D-Strutters are...
Livin, Lovin, and Rock 'n' Rollin!
7. What's the word on your full length record?
It's on it's way. We're making sure it's extra sexy, and it's the best that it can be. We are printing vinyl as well. By January 2010.
8. God comes down from Heaven and grants D-Strutters one wish. What do you ask for and why?
A sweet tour bus with unlimited gas, so we tour tour tour. I guess that's two wishes, hmmmmm?
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.