Ex-Culture Club front androgyne Boy George has had to cancel his upcoming US tour (including a July 13 date at the Grove of Anaheim) after being denied a work visa. In recent years, George has forged a career as a DJ who plays mediocre house music in fairly sizable clubs.
Read the statement from his management after the jump.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
“At the moment, Boy George cannot come to the United States of America because he has been refused permission to enter by the USA Administration. This is not in respect of anything he has done in the past but because he is facing a trial in November in London for something that happened in April last year. George’s lawyers in London have absolutely forbidden us to speak about the facts of that case and all I can say is that George is astounded at the decision and is having lawyers here in the States look at it in the hope that someone will change their mind. George has not been convicted of anything in London and there is a presumption in the Western World of innocence until proven guilty. The proceedings that George faces in London are of course important and serious but George has been given unconditional bail by the Police and Courts in London thereby permitting him to travel anywhere in the World. He is clearly not considered any form of risk in London in that regard and in that respect we are asking the US Authorities to reconsider their position. George has cooperated fully with all investigations and enquiries into the case and has put forward a full and detailed defence. We would love to be able to tell you what that defence is but we say again that we are absolutely forbidden by George’s London lawyers to do so because if it gets its way back to England it could amount to a contempt of Court. George really would love to come to America and repay his American fans loyalty and that is why we are asking the US Authorities to reconsider their decision”.