A Field Guide to the Metalhead
The largest congregation of metal fans this side of North America descended upon the Empire Polo Field in Indio last weekend to watch Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax play ear-bleeding guitar riffs for seven freakin' hours at the Big 4 festival. If you weren't there, don't cry: Check out our handy-dandy guide to spotting the average Big 4 fan instead.
1. Long, greasy hair that's not in a ponytail
2. A look of surliness from being out in the sun
4. Hands perennially curled into devil sign
5. Gut from drinking too much beer while playing World of Warcraft
6. Baggy jeans
7. Big river shoes
8. Metal-stud bracelets
9. Iron Maiden T-shirt (one of five)
From an April 22 Heard Mentality blog post.
This column appeared in print as "Anatomy of a Metalhead."
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.