By Adam Lovinus
By Lilledeshan Bose
By Gabriel San Roman
By Rachel Mattice
By Stephanie Zacharek
By Daniel Kohn
By Nate Jackson
By Mike Seeley
Without further ado . . .
1. You're spending some quality time alone with your sound system on a Sunday afternoon. What's playing?
8808 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, CA 92618
Category: Music Venues
2200 E. Katella Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92806
Category: Music Venues
5305 Santiago Canyon Road
Silverado, CA 92676
Category: Attractions and Amusement Parks
411 Olive Ave.
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
Region: Huntington Beach
A) Your iTunes is on shuffle. The Bee Gees, Crystal Antlers and Pavarotti came up.
B) Archers of Loaf and My Bloody Valentine—on repeat!
C) Something you downloaded from the Odd Future Tumblr site.
D) Your friend's band that's part Ariel Pink, part Echo and the Bunnymen, part Flaming Lips.
2. The last time you raised your hand at a musical event . . .
A) It was to do the versatile fist pump. You can't remember whether you were at Lightning In a Bottle, moving to the untz-untz-untz beat, or at a secret One Day As a Lion show, where you had to show solidarity against the man!
B) It was to do the metal sign. You were at the Rammstein show, and it was the first time they'd been to the U.S. in 10 years!
C) It was to do the peace sign. You were at a park, cheering on a busker.
D) You were touching Wayne Coyne's plastic bubble at the Flaming Lips show at Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
3. Your car's bumper sticker says:
A) "My other car is a BMW."
B) "Pixies 2004."
C) "Obama 2008."
D) "We jam econo."
4. You buy band merchandise because . . .
A) You were drunk and accidentally spilled beer on the woman in the seat in front of you, so you had to buy her a shirt.
B) You want a version of the band shirt you had when you were 13.
C) If you bought a CD, you got a free ticket to the show.
D) You want to support indie musicians.
5. If you were in a band, you'd be . . .
A) The lead singer—all eyes should be on you!
B) The chief songwriter—so you can infuse your music with all your seminal influences. Meat Puppets, anyone?
C) The tambourine player.
D) The drummer, producer and trigger of the loop station.
6. Your favorite band's concert is sold out. What would you do to get a ticket?
A) Craigslist—in between perusing the personals.
B) Um, excuse me? I bought a ticket at the fansite presale.
C) I'd ask everyone I know if they'd barter my carwashing services for a ticket.
D) I'm sure my friends would hook me up—someone will always need a plus one.
7. At a typical show you're attending, people around you are . . .
A) Dancing and passing a spliff around.
B) Moshing with all their might.
C) Squinting to see the stage.
D) Having intense conversations about the state of the sound system.
8. Name your favorite lyric du jour:
A) "Girl, you ain't no Barbie/I see you work at Arby's" by Kreayshawn.
B) "I want to start a new life/With my valuable hunting knife" from Guided By Voices.
C) "Reach out your hand if your cup be empty/If your cup is full, may it be again" by the Grateful Dead.
D) "One day we'll all be ghosts/Trippin' around in someone else's home" from Head and the Heart.
9. Which set of bands will you be most likely to listen to?
A) Outkast, Bright Eyes, Mumford and Sons, and Ke$ha.
B) My Bloody Valentine, Nirvana, Elliott Smith and Ani DiFranco.
C) Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, Phish, Sublime, and the Doors.
D) Battles, Braids, Bon Iver and Tallest Man On Earth.
10. What are your preshow rituals?
A) A 40-ounce and a doobie! Anything to make the psychedelics rock harder.
B) Listening to whole albums of the band I'm going to hear. You never know what the band is going to play!
C) Some screaming to stretch out the vocal chords!
D) A glass of wine, a cigarette and an update on my Facebook page so everyone knows where I am.
You're the Anything Goes Concert-Goer! Whether it's a band of golfers playing experimental tubas made from plastic piping, funk purveyors at the Summer and Music festival in Long Beach, or Hall and Oates at the Hollywood Bowl, you're game for anything—you have earplugs and booze, and you're willing to travel. That said, here are four shows that will probably be perfect for you this summer:
• Journey: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 8808 Irvine Center Dr., Irvine, (949) 855-8095; www.livenation.com/Irvine-Meadows-Verizon- Wireless-Amphitheater-tickets-Irvine/venue/73757. July 23.
• Unity Tour 2011: featuring 311 & Sublime With Rome. Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. Aug. 20.
• Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto: City National Grove of Anaheim, 2200 E. Katella Ave., Anaheim, (714) 712-2700; www.thegroveofanaheim.com. July 12.
• Powerhouse 2011: featuring Ice Cube and Wiz Khalifa. Honda Center, 2695 E. Katella Ave., Anaheim, (714) 704-2400; www.hondacenter.com. June 25.
You're the Must-See Concert-Goer! For you, anything rated five stars or any band who haven't toured in 10 years or have just reunited is the perfect ticket. Anything as long as you can tell your friends, "I was there when . . ." Here, then, are five shows you can't miss this summer.