By On the occasion of our 20th anniversary
By Gustavo Arellano
By R. Scott Moxley
By Alfonso Delgado
By Courtney Hamilton
By Joel Beers
By Peter Maguire
By Charles Lam
1. Daniel Wozniak, a 27-year-old Costa Mesa community-theater actor, is alleged to have shot 26-year-old Samuel Eliezer Herr to death in May before chopping up the Afghanistan-war veteran and hiding his torso in the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base theater and dumping his head in a trash can at El Dorado Regional Park in Long Beach. Prosecutors say that in between performances of the musical Nine in Fullerton, Wozniak, using Herr’s cell phone, sent texts to Juri “Julie” Kibuishi, 23, of Irvine, posing as her friend Herr and asking her to come to the dead man’s Costa Mesa apartment. There, Wozniak is accused of shooting and killing Kibuishi before stripping and posing her as if she’d been raped. Police, who at first surmised Herr killed the woman and fled, picked up a teen using Herr’s ATM card in Long Beach. The teen led police to Wozniak, who was arrested at his bachelor party in Huntington Beach. The motive, according to investigators: money. Wozniak, cash-strapped as his wedding day approached, was allegedly draining Herr’s bank account.
* * *
TOP 10 REAL FAMILY MEMBERS OF THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY
10. Briana Wolfsmith, the daughter of Vicki Gunvalson, who proved to a Weekling in a local emergency room on the first day of 2010 that she is a good nurse, someone who hasn’t let quasi-fame go to her head and, unlike her mom, the epitome of class.
9. Ryan Vieth, son of Tamra Barney, who turned heads in January by posting a self-photo of his buffed self on Guys With iPhones, a site that features often-nude pics men have taken with their iPhones.
8. Melania and Mackenna Bellino, the twin daughters of Jim and Alexis Bellino, whose stroller rolled into the Balboa Bay Club pool while their parents partied hearty on the Fourth of July. The girls, who were plucked out by their dad and a security guard, were 2-and-a-half years old at the time.
7. Micah Tanous, the husband of new cast member Peggy Tanous, who has been observed at parties in the real OC performing amazing, perplexing card tricks. Hey, maybe the Bellino babies rolling into the Bay Club pool was one of his illusions.
6. Raquel Curtin, the spoiled-brat daughter of Lynne Curtin, who, after getting a new Beemer for her 18th birthday, showed up at her party in a form-fitting dress that her boyfriend said made her look like a stripper. Actually, she borrowed the dress from mom.
5. Slade Smiley, the fiance of Gretchen Rossi, who first appeared during season one as the fiance of Jo De La Rosa, then briefly dated Lauri Waring (who went on to marry developer George Peterson to end season three) and finally wound up with Rossi (who was engaged to the much-older Jeff Beitzel, who went on to die of cancer as season four aired). Bravo may be positioning the Slade-Gretch “power couple” for a spin-off fake-reality show.
4. Simon Barney, the estranged husband of Tamra Barney, who was treated to a restraining order in September after throwing a retractable dog leash at his ex-, who had traded Simon in for a younger stud.
3. Kara, Colton and Shane Keough, the children of Matt and Jeana Keough, who launched a Twitter war after Jeana and Tamra Barney had a drink-throwing catfight in October. “@KaraKeough: @TamraBarney to hear you threw a drink in @jeanakeough’s face makes me sick—she called me in tears—can’t believe I considered you a friend.” “@ShaneKeough: @TamraBarney you are low-class trash. How dare you threaten my mother when you are wrong to begin with. If you want privacy then leave OC.” A family that tweets together . . . stays together!
2. Matt Keough, Jeana’s estranged husband, who was placed behind bars for a third time after being convicted of DUI in October. The former Oakland A’s pitching ace missed one sentencing hearing after his attorney determined he was too drunk.
1. Josh Waring, the son of Laura Waring Peterson, who kept a jail cot warm for Keough after getting picked up on a parole violation in July. Once famously turned in to authorities by his mom, Waring the younger boasts possession of heroin and Ecstasy and intent to sell, possession of drug paraphernalia, battery on a spouse or significant other, and false imprisonment on his rap sheet. And he’s only 21!
* * *
TOP 10 THIEVING FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS
10. William Phillip Armentrout, 32, of Anaheim, was found guilty in December of stealing $42,158 from the Veterans Administration by posing as his father, a Vietnam War veteran who’d died in 2005 of terminal brain and lung cancer, and cashing 18 forged checks at liquor stores, mostly in Placentia.
9. Bridget Dominique Ganier, a 38-year-old former executive assistant at the nonprofit Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center in Fountain Valley, was sentenced in April to three years in prison after pleading guilty to stealing $306,000 from the hospital cafeteria’s cash registers. She was also ordered to give back the money.
8. Crystina Renee Bock, 34, of Ladera Ranch, pleaded guilty in March to stealing more than $200,000 in weekly offerings made by congregants at Compass Bible Church in Aliso Viejo, where she was the financial secretary. She was sentenced to five years in state prison and ordered to pay back all she took, which means she’s got a lot of envelopes to lick.